Field Trip - Freedom Riders
Kent State Performing Arts Center
330 University Drive NE
New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663
Wednesday, February 28,2018
“Freedom Riders” is a play with music by Mad River Theater Works which explores the valiant and courageous personalities behind one of the most critical chapters in the history of the civil rights movement. “Freedom Riders” demonstrates the importance of working together to affect change and specifically how non-violent protests were used to focus attention on the cruelties of segregation. Age Appropriateness: Third - Eighth Grades
Ohio Model Social Studies Curriculum for Grade Three: Communities - Past and Present, Near and Far
- Communities may include diverse cultural groups.
- Members of local communities have social and political responsibilities.
- Individuals make the community a better place by solving problems in a way that promotes the common good.
Ohio Model Language Arts Curriculum for Grade Three: Speaking and Listening
- Determine the main ideas and supporting details of a text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively and orally.
- Ask and answer questions about information from a speaker, offering appropriate elaboration and detail.